16.2.11

Marianne Williamson


For the past few weeks R and I have scurried to Hollywood each Tuesday evening to catch the amazing Marianne Williamson speak. I became hip to Marianne a few months after moving to LA (2007). From the moment I initially heard her, I knew that this little woman was onto something.


Marianne can be described as a spiritual advisor, political activist and even therapist, although my personal title for her is "Defender Of Love." I'm a huge fan of self help and spiritual evolution, but when I listen to (or read) Marianne, I'm taken to that ever so necessary next level. 


Marianne speaks from the principle of the book, A Course In Miracles. She doesn't deviate and she always, always brings her topic back to Love. What I appreciate most about her is the transparency of which she speaks.


She gives detailed examples of many of the struggles of life and is open to sharing personal examples of triumph. She is best know for the following quote. In fact, I knew this quote before I knew that she was the author:


Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.


The quote has been attributed to Nelson Mandela, although as she will point out, that's an urban myth. Nelson Mandela never used this quote in anything. She'll likely be defending this fact forever...but, hey, there are certainly worse things one could be defending.


I've recently stumbled upon her first book A Return To Love and it's quickly become one of my favs. As many of you know, last year, I studied A New Earth and while I appreciate Eckardt Tolle's genius, I definitely relate more to Marianne. She uses examples and scenarios that I, myself have experienced. Well, so did Eckardt... especially with that pain body stuff. Oh well, they're both amazing. Let's keep it there..no comparing. However, I also used to be a huge proponent of The Secret and I now see this as not solely the end opportunity. Lacking from The Secret was a focus on God & Love. 


Anywho, Marianne has a new book that is causing people to once again understand her power of touching people. The book is called, A Course in Weightloss. Sounds good, if you ask me.


What I'm learning from Marianne is to sit back and trust the process. But do your part, i.e prayer and meditation. 


If she is ever in your town, do yourself a favor and see her live. She's feisty and on point!



No comments:

Post a Comment