11.6.11

Loving What Is - Byron Katie

If you've been following me for awhile you understand that I get things a little late. I don't know why...actually I totally know why. Because I was that child in church every Sunday, eating Now-A-Laters with my bestie, yapping and trying to be cute. In other words, "I don't always pay attention until i'm forced to pay attention." Thus was the case with, yet another magical book that I finally decided to embrace.

I heard about Byron Katie earlier this year but wasn't ready to accept her process. Lately, I've become more clear and open and in the past week, that darn whisper grazed my mind twice- carrying with it the name Byron Katie and those four-questions. I get it. I get it!

In her book, Loving What Is, Katie challenges the reader to ask themselves a question, four questions actually:


1. Is it true?
2. Can you absolutely know it's true?
3. How do you react to that thought?
4. Who would you be without that thought?

She calls this process, The Work. It encourages the reader to accept what is, thereby releasing ourselves from struggle. 

And so, ladies and gentleman, I have become a Byron Katie fanatic. She speaks from her own personal experience. At 43- years old and depressed, she voluntarily checked herself into a half-way house. It was there that she had a melt-down and only survived by producing "The Work" and living these four questions. 

The Work, is just that. Beginning with the first question: Is it true, Katie dares us to shatter the walls we build around ourselves. There's a quote in the book, "The deeper you go into the work, the more powerful you realize it is." She's moving people and changing lives by begging us to lose that darn veil and Love What Is. 


No comments:

Post a Comment